Air conditioners accelerate air circulation and cool your room to the desired temperature. Purchasing a large air conditioner can be expensive, hence the need for small and medium portable air conditioners. These are convenient for on spot cooling of specific areas including your bedroom, office, or apartment and are easy to handle. This article stands as a mini buying, installation, and maintenance guide for these devices – a collection of portable air conditioner buying advice to keep in mind when shopping for a new one.
Factors to Consider when Buying a Portable Air Conditioner
Purchasing a portable air conditioner can be challenging at times, especially for customers who do not know what to look for when shopping for the important appliances. To ensure that you get it right when purchasing a portable air conditioner, it is important to consider the following factors:
When making any purchase, the cost is a critical consideration. Depending on the size of a portable air conditioner and its brand, its price can vary significantly. The price range is between $150 and $800 for home conditioners and up to $10,000 for commercial conditioners. Purchasing an AC air conditioner for large rooms is likely to cost you more compared to small portable ones for small rooms.
Air conditioners come in different sizes and buyers have different preferences of the sizes they want. If you are purchasing an air conditioner to station in a particular room, you can choose a large one. However, if you intend to use the air conditioner in different rooms, you can go for a smaller conditioner, since it is easy to move around.
When purchasing a portable air conditioner, you need to bear in mind the size of the room it will be serving. The size of the air conditioner will determine its cooling abilities. Most manufacturers indicate each air conditioner’s BTUs to measure its capabilities. As a buyer, you should know that the higher an air conditioner’s BTU the higher its cooling capacity. With this knowledge, you can choose a conditioner that serves your needs best. A big room will need a bigger air conditioner than a small room to keep its temperatures low.
A portable air conditioner can be used as an accessory in your home or office. When purchasing one, it is important that you consider the design of the air conditioner. Consider purchasing an air conditioner that is stylish or one capable of giving your home an aesthetic value. Manufacturers provide portable air conditioners in different styles and in different colors.
When purchasing a portable air conditioner, determining the energy use of each brand is important for a buyer. Some manufacturers indicate the star ratings on their products, and it is important for buyers to check the star ratings and pick an eco-friendly one. If you are sensitive to the environment and saving energy is important to you, consider purchasing portable air conditioners that come with a programmable thermostat. This ensures that your air conditioner switches itself off when your room achieves the desired temperature.
How to Install a Portable Air Conditioner
Installing a portable air conditioner can be challenging even though most manufacturers provide a user guide on how to install the appliances. The following are the procedures for installing a portable air conditioner:
- First, read the manufacturer’s manual carefully. You should save the user instructions and any warranty information cards for future use. This is important because it will allow you to install the appliance as recommended by the manufacturer.
- Choose a spot in your room for the air conditioner. When choosing a spot to place your air conditioner, consider the proximity of an electric socket and a window for convenience purposes. The location should allow free airflow.
- Determine whether the window adapter kit that comes with the air conditioner is compatible with your window. If it is not compatible, you can improvise it or return it to the seller for a replacement.
- Connect the exhaust hose that accompanies the air conditioner. To connect it correctly, you must follow the directions that accompany the appliance.
- Ensure that the exhaust hose-window connection is in place. You can adjust window kit sliders or panels so that you can fill the gap between the window sides and the window connection.
- Finally, plug in your air conditioner as it is ready for use.
Portable Air Conditioner Maintenance
If not well maintained, portable air conditioners can wear out quickly. Here are the steps that you can take to keep your air conditioner in good shape:
- Always hire a professional for repair and servicing. Whenever you want to service your portable air conditioner, you should seek professional services.
- Keep the appliance clean. Keep the condensers of the air conditioner clean for maximum efficiency. Clean any grime, grease, dirt, and dust that might accumulate on the appliance.
- Always keep the exhaust hose straight. When using a portable air conditioner, make sure that you keep the exhaust hose short and straight to ensure it does not wear out quickly.
- Ensure that your power source has the capacity to supply at least 120V AC.
Recommended read: To see our top picks for these portable appliances, make sure you check out our collection of the best portable air conditioners currently available on the online market!