We live in an age of no sleep and for most of us this is bad news. Sleep is vital for full productivity and for the overall health of both our bodies and brains.
The exhaustion and low-level anxiety caused by a life that is too hectic and too hurried can make it difficult for most to fall or stay asleep.
Insomnia is a growing epidemic with increasingly detrimental consequences on overall health. For this and many other reasons it is essential for us to take a proactive approach to get some consistent shut-eye.
This is especially important for those who have young children. Being intentional in creating and sticking to a sleeping schedule helps improve overall health and focus. Developing a bedtime routine can help us prepare to fall asleep.
Incorporating many of the tools being made available, such as diffusers and white noise machines can further help the process. Choosing the best white noise machine for your needs can help you sleep longer and deeper.
White noise machines are devices that produces sounds on the same frequency over and over again in a repeating cycle. This is similar to the sounds of thunderstorms or the chirping birds.
We want you to start getting the best sleep you can and so below we’ve compiled a list, so you can choose the best white noise machine.
The Benefits of Using a White Noise Machine
The core benefit of using a white noise machine is its ability to help you form a bedtime ritual. White noise machines help keep your room quiet by canceling out any sounds that you could normally hear in your surrounding environment.
White noise can help you quiet your racing thoughts and can even be used for meditation. By masking the sounds around you, the white noise machine can help you stay asleep once you do finally drift off to dreamland.
The best white noise machine is also portable, so you can take them wherever you travel. Or perhaps you like to take power naps during your breaks at work. We know we do.
White noise machines provide excellent benefits for fussy and/or sleepy children and babies.
Babies are naturally born with what is called the startle reflex. Any noise can cause them to flinch, clench their fists, or even cry.
While swaddling can stop the physical reactions, a white noise machine can provide an extra layer of comfort to babies, as it masks other sounds while creating a more consistent atmosphere. The sounds can soothe your baby and guide them to sleep.
Here are our top suggestions to help you chose the best white noise machine for you.
How We Chose Our Ratings
The white noise machines featured on the list were rated based on quality, durability, customer reviews, and the overall functionality of the device. We also considered the popularity of the blogs as a proof of their authenticity and authority.
We always rate our examples honestly based on our experience and strive for accuracy by verifying the sources we use for the examples that we choose to use.
The 10 Best White Noise Machine
1. Marpac Dohm – The Original and Classic Sleep Sound Machine
- THE ORIGINAL SOUND MACHINE: Beloved by generations since 1962, the Dohm Classic model features our fan-based natural...
- CUSTOMIZED SOUND EXPERIENCE: With two-speed options for adjustable tone and volume, making it simple to create a...
- UNBEATABLE QUALITY & GUARANTEE: Sleeping is believing. For over 50 years, Yogasleep has been the gold standard in white...
The Marpac Dohm is considered the grandfather of white noise machines as it has been around for over fifty years. The Marpac Dohm is considered a ‘sound conditioner’ rather than a white noise machine.
The reason for this is that it uses a mechanical component rather then the now standard electronic components to produce its sound. The noise is produced by an internal whirring fan. The sound can be changed by adjusting the vents located on its side.
It has two settings – the high and low settings which affect the pitch and the volume of the sound it produces. Though is has a straight-forward and simple design, it is this uncomplicated presentation that has endeared the Dohm to many users.
Overall Rating: 5.0/5.0
2. LectroFan by Adaptive Sound Technologies (ASM)
- INTERNATIONAL MODEL includes an adapter kit for US, UK, and EU power outlets. Can also be powered via USB.
- GUARANTEED NON-LOOPING Design provides Ten unique Fan Sounds and Ten unique White Noise variations, including Pink noise...
- BLOCKS disruptive environmental noises so you or your little one can fall asleep with ease
The LectroFan uses technology that has been patented to produce its sounds in a hurry. It produces relaxing soundscapes and eliminates repetition by blending naturally recorded, high- definition sounds together.
It has the added benefit of an intelligent feature which adjusts the volume to ambient sounds such as snoring or coughing to enhance its masking abilities. Its also available in a miniature twin version which is completely portable and packs up to 16 hours of battery life.
This is the best white noise machine for those with sleep apnea or a snoring partner.
Overall Rating: 4.8/5.0
3. AuCuTee Q1 White Machine with Sound Mixing
The AuCuTee Q1 White Machine is a relative new comer and is a unique sleep sound machine as it has the ability to allow the user to mix individual sounds based on user preference.
It features 10 high-quality, non-looping nature and mechanical sounds that the user can personalize and make their own. Each sound can be adjusted individually in a similar way that you can mix a track.
A sound timer allows you to adjust the timer so shut off in 30, 60, or 90 minutes.
It also boosts a Bluetooth feature that you can use to play your own music.
This is the best white noise machine for those who want simplicity.
Overall Rating: 4.6/50
4. Avantek White Noise Sound Machine
- 20 SOOTHING SOUNDS: Non-looping sound recordings of high quality; includes 6 types of white noise, 6 fan sounds and 8...
- EXCELLENT SOUND QUALITY: The speaker in this machine is customized and debugged by a market-leading speaker...
- PERFECT FOR BABY SLEEPING: This white noise machine with a wide volume range of 30 levels allows you to find the comfort...
The Avantek White noise machine comes with 20 sounds, including white noise. It has great masking ability and a memory function that is programmed to remember your last settings.
The sounds include both fan and ambient sounds, such as crickets and campfire, for a more outdoors ambience, and rain, birds, waves, and even steam and clocks.
The timer can be set to 60 minutes to up to 7 hours of continuous play. As the timer gets closer to turning off, the volume is gradually reduced and then turns off when time is up.
This white noise machine is portable and compact and can be charged using a USB port or adapter.
This white noise machine is the best white noise machine for babies.
Overall Rating: 4.4/5.0
5. Big Red Rooster BRRC107 Sound Machine, 6 Sounds
- 6 SOOTHING SLEEP SOUNDS – The white noise machine sounds include Rain, Brook, Ocean, Thunder, White Noise, Summer...
- MASK BACKGROUND NOISES - The white noise sound machine masks noise for improved sleep, concentration and comfort. Blocks...
- OPTIONAL AUTO-OFF TIMER - Leave the sleep sound machine on all night or use the optional auto-off timer at 15, 30 or 60...
The Big Red Rooster Sound Machine is compact and portable. Its easy to travel with as it can be placed in a suitcase or carry-on bag. It only weighs 5.9 ounces and measures 4 x 4.4 x 2.6 inches.
It has an AC adaptor and can also be powered with 3AA batteries.
The Big Red Rooster has an optional timer that can be set to 5 minutes, 30 minutes, or 60 minutes.
It features six different sounds, including rain, a gurgling brook, repeating thunder sounds, waves, and even humming bugs and crickets.
The Big Red Rooster Sound Machine is the best white noise machine for travel.
Overall Rating: 4.3/5.0
6. Marpac Rohm White Noise Sound Machine, Portable
- EFFECTIVELY MASKS NOISE: Beloved by generations since 1962, Marpac is the trusted leader in white noise machines, and...
- 3 SOOTHING SOUNDS: Choose from bright white noise, deep white noise, or gentle surf, then set your volume - anywhere...
- COMPACT & PORTABLE: At just 3.5" in diameter and 3.8 ounces, Rohm fits easily in a carry-on bag or backpack and comes...
The Rohm carries all the features of the Marpac Dohm, except with the difference that it is completely portable.
It even has some additional features, such as the ability to adapt the volume to an even louder setting, which might be needing while traveling.
Overall Rating: 4.2/ 5.0
7. Pictek White Noise Machine
- ☘SEAMLESS LOOPING SOUND - Providing you with 12 dynamically generated fan sounds and noise sound that result in...
- ☘PLAYING ALL NIGHT - Featuring 3 timer options, allowing you to play the pleasant sound all night, set auto-off timer:...
- ☘LIGHTWEIGHT & PORTABLE FOR TRAVEL - With 6.5” x 2.5” x 1” size, this white noise machine is compact and...
The Pictek White Noise Machine seems to be a favorite with white noise enthusiasts.
“Amazing sound machine! I love all the great sounds to choose from, and the best feature is, it goes all night long, which is great for our baby who uses this. So great for drowning out his noisy sisters and the quiet sounds of the house at night. Really great quality, and I appreciate the wide range of volume control.” -Amazon Reviewer
Overall Rating: 4.0/5.0
8. Sound+Sleep High Fidelity Sleep Sound Machine
- Buy with confidence from an American company
- 30 rich and immersive non-repeating sound environments for better sleep, relaxation, and sound masking
- Adaptive Sound listens to your environment and responds instantly by adjusting audio volume. 3.5mm headphone jack
The Strategist had this to say about the Sound + Sleep.
“This sound machine is extremely user-friendly and intuitive to use, even when you’re half-asleep and about to fall into bed … The volume on this machine goes quite high (at least twice as high as I could ever imagine needing it to be). The entire top surface of the machine appears to be a speaker panel…”
Users appreciated that the Sound+Sleep provided variations in the sound it plays. Unlike other white noise machines, this white noise machine doesn’t play sounds on the same loop over and over. It gives the listener relief by punctuating a background sound of waves, for example, with the hooting of an owl or call of a seal.
This is the best white noise machine for those who like variety.
Overall Rating: 3.8/5.0
9. Wave Premium Sleep Therapy Sound Machine
- ALL-NATURAL SLEEP AID: Get a deeper, more restful night’s sleep with this drug-free sleep aid for insomnia, general...
- 6 SOUND OPTIONS: Enjoy a peaceful and relaxing listening experience with new and improved seamless looping of 6 soothing...
- TRAVEL FRIENDLY: Compact, lightweight design with removable stand and built-in USB charging port, easily fits into...
A user of the Wave Premium Therapy Sound Machine on the Strategist stated this – and it pretty much covers it:
“I bought this for my 8-year-old daughter who has chronic sleep problems. She is also a very light sleeper, and her room is on the opposite side of the wall to the television, which is sometimes on at night and disturbs her.
She is also a nature-lover and loves the nature sounds — the brook or stream sound is her favorite. She loves the product. It helps drown out disturbing noise, relaxes her, and it seems to help her sleep.”
Overall Rating: 3.6/5.0
10. HoMedics SS-2000 Sound Spa Relaxation Sound Machine
- SIX NATURE SOUNDS: Nature sounds help provide a relaxing experience and a good night’s sleep by blocking out noises....
- NATURAL SLEEPING AID: White noise machines help create a soothing environment, and cover unwanted noises around you so...
- PORTABLE & CONVENIENT: The sound machine is lightweight and portable and can fit in any suitcase so you’ll never have...
Our last model works well for those who want the spa ambiance. Complete the setting with a diffuser and low lighting.
Users of the HoMedics SS-2000 love the variety of sounds the machine produces from white noise to rain, brooks, and crickets. They love the ease of use and the ability to set the white noise machine on a timer.
You can use the HoMedics in a nursery and to read, study, relax, or sleep. The timer can be set to 15 minutes, 30 minutes, or 60 minutes. It comes with an adapter and can also be powered by 4AA batteries.
The HoMedics is the best white noise machine for those who want a dependable budget option.
Overall Rating: 3.4/5.0
Buyers Guide – What to Consider When Buying a White Noise Machine
When buying a white noise machine, consider in what environment it will be used. Make sure that any models used around babies or children will be safe in the rooms where they sleep.
The best white noise machine is user-friendly and can be easily operated. You want to be able to know how to turn the devise off and on and how to use its various features without too much hassle.
Its also important that the white noise machine has all the features you are looking for. If you need an alarm, maybe consider a white noise machine that also has an alarm built in.
Consider the sounds that you want to go to sleep to. Do you like more ambient sounds, such as nature sounds, or do you prefer the sound of a fan or other repeating sound?
Do you want to be able to manipulate the sounds or do you want to be able to just turn it on and listen to the soundtrack?
Would you prefer the simplicity of the Marpac Dohm or the unique adaptive abilities of the Sound+Sleep?
Make sure that if you are a beginner to slowly adjust the volume over time instead of all at once. Buy a machine with this option
With this guide you will be able to buy a machine that will get you the sleep you’ve always wanted.
Last update on 2021-07-27 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API