Keeping our houses clean has gotten a boost lately, and that includes not wanting to simply push dirt, dust, and bacteria around with a broom. So, we have a list of the best vacuum for hardwood floors for you!
The combination vacuums, which can clean both hard flooring and carpet, are considered must-haves for homeowners.
This list of the top eleven best vacuums for hardwood floors is designed to give you the information you need for an informed purchase.
Deciding on the Best Vacuum for Hardwood Floors
When considering a vacuum for hardwood floors, you need to factor in cost, durability, warranty, size, and shape. For many people, the most convenient vacuum is small in size, easy to use and maneuver.
When it comes to keeping your house clean, you deserve the most effective vacuum at an economical price. We found the following vacuums to be the best on the market for hardwood floors.
The Shark Navigator
- Dust cup capacity 2.2 quarts; Lift away; Press a button to lift the canister away and easily clean hard to reach areas
- Anti-allergen complete seal technology plus a HEPA filter; Traps 99.9 percent of dust and allergens inside the vacuum
- Powerful and lightweight; Portable and versatile at 13.7 pounds
The Shark is still considered one of the best by about every objective reviewer. Ever since it came out, it has dominated the industry. Competitors try their best to out-do this creation.
It comes with a dusting brush, and it’s marketed as being able to clean up after pet hair too. It has swivel steering and anti-allergen seal technology too.
You can easily clean hard to reach places with this vacuum. The Shark Ninja has won awards too, including Best Hardwood Vacuums (home clean experts), and Best Hardwood Floor vacuum of 2017 and 2018. This is a known and trusted product, that’s why it makes the top of the list.
Hoover LiNX Cordless Stick Vacuum (81L2T)
- Cordless and bagless stick vacuum cleaner with WindTunnel Technology
- Interchangeable 18-volt Lithium Ion battery for fade-free power; auto height adjustment
- Motorized power brush turns off with a flip of a switch for bare-floor cleaning; 11-inch-wide nozzle
This vacuum is very easy to use and maneuver. It’s super light-weight too. The coolest feature about this vacuum is that its cordless. This vacuum is also known for having a long-lasting battery power.
If you’re looking for a sleek model to use, this is the one to go with. It has been used by thousands of happy customers.
Bissell Power Edge Pet Hardwood Floor Vacuum
- Every BISSELL purchase helps save pets. BISSELL proudly supports BISSELL Pet Foundation and its mission to help save...
- The V-shape directs larger debris into the center suction path, while the ends of the V capture small, fine debris
- Easily cleans aroundfurniture legs and on low pile are legs; Hose Length: No Hose
This vacuum offers you a variety of color choices, and options while ordering. Like other top-notch vacuums, it has a swivel head so that you can easily access hard to reach areas.
This vacuum is known for having very powerful suction, picking up tiny dust particles, hair, and other debris. It also comes with a 1-year warranty.
Bissell is also a pretty big brand name in the vacuum industry, so this is absolutely a product that you can put your trust in.
Bissell Bagless Hardwood Floor Expert Deluxe Vacuum
- Dirt cup capacity - 1.0 liter. Powerful, Yet Cleans Delicately To Protect Your Floor Surfaces
- Non Marking Rubber Wheels With Felt Treads. Power Rating: 7 Amps
- Compact And Lightweight It Is Easy To Maneuver And Store
The product is a little bulkier than others vacuums previously mentioned on this list. The difference between this vacuum and other vacuums is, this one is specifically designed for hardwood floors.
It’s sort of like a specialty vacuum. Those who have more hardwood floors than carpet may want to buy this model.
The careful precision and design of this vacuum allow it to clean the floors without causing much damage to the wood. We don’t recommend trying to use this product on carpet.
Dyson V8 Absolute
- Cord free. Hassle free. Powerful suction, refer user manual for instructions
- Up to 40 minute's run time when using a non-motorized tool. Suction power (Max mode): 115 AW
- Lightweight and versatile, for easy home cleaning. Instant release trigger means battery power is only used while it’s...
It’s a Dyson, so it has great suction. It’s also another cordless vacuum. The design of this vacuum is very sleek and futuristic. This vacuum also has HEPA filtration options which ensures you’re breathing clean air after you clean up. Three tools are included to help maneuverability while using it.
Some great features of this vacuum are, its ability to transform into a small handheld device; it can reach super high places; it has a docking station. Dyson is highly regarded in the vacuum world, for good reason.
Bissell Zing Canister Bagless Vacuum
- Dirt cup capacity 2 liters; Cyclonic action and powerful suction provide thorough cleaning; Plus, no more bags to buy or...
- Easily go from cleaning carpets to hard floors with the flip of a switch. Power rating : 9 ampere
- Dirt cup filters and post motor filter help capture more fine dust and particles. Filters are washable and reusable
The third Bissell to make the list is rated as one of the top-notch canister vacuums. The wheel on the vacuum make it fairly easy to maneuver. You get 15 feet of cord length to reach different areas of the home.
This vacuum only weighs about 7 pounds, and has an easy to use, carrying handle. You can purchase a 2 or 3-year warranty on the vacuum as well.
Dibea 600W Corded Stick Vacuum
- 【600W 18Kpa Powerful Suction, Lightweight, Stand Up Alone】 2-in-1 corded upright stick vacuum cleaner with 18kpa...
- 【5 Height Adjustment, Flexible Swivel Steering 】 5 height adjustment, easily slide over a variety of surfaces for...
- 【1L Dust Bin, Multi-Layer HEPA Filtration 】 Advanced cyclone HEPA filtration system, effectively spins dust away...
This vacuum uses cyclonic action and specializes in picking up pet hair. It’s also marketed as a 2-in-1 vacuum.
HEPA filtration is another plus on this model, and its super suction abilities. It is said to be able to pick up cat litter as well.
Miele Compact C1 Pure Suction
- Strong suction power: This lightweight, bagged Miele canister vacuum has a combination floorhead that is ideal for...
- Versatile: Switch between 6 different suction power settings specific to the surface being cleaned, whether it’s...
- Maximum Filtration: Miele’s unique AirClean Sealed System with 3-tiered filtration ensures that no dust and dirt can...
This product is another canister vacuum, with high suction power. It’s marketed at 1200W of power. The type of floor head on the vacuum is perfect for hard floors.
Wheels are included on the design for easy maneuverability. This one also comes with a 3-piece accessory set that includes a, upholstery tool, crevice tool and dusting brush.
Shark Duo Clean
- Dust cup capacity - 0.91 quarts. Compact sized Lift-Away with Duo Clean Technology.
- Duo Clean Technology features a bristle brush to deep-clean carpets and an additional soft brush roll to pull in larger...
- Anti-allergen complete seal technology + hepa filter
One of the features that really sticks out with this model is the free 5-year warranty. You get your money’s worth with the warranty. This vacuum specializes in carpet but has a hardwood floor component built-in.
Another awesome feature is the LED lights that are attached to the head of the nozzle. This way you can find some of those hidden areas.
Like other Shark models, this one is known for having advanced swivel steering technologies, and it’s very light weight compared to its competitors.
Dirt Devil Vibe
- LIGHTWEIGHT DESIGN: Easy transportation from room-to-room and up-and-down stairs. Motor watts - 240 watts
- ON/OFF BRUSHROLL: Turn brushroll 'on' for carpeted surfaces and 'off' for hard floor cleaning
- EASY EMPTY DIRT CUP: Makes emptying the dirt cup easy and mess-free
This vacuum will cover all your basic needs. It’s a stick vacuum created specifically for hardwood flooring.
It comes with a 15 foot cord and a pretty strong motor. Dirt Devil is a reputable company as well. This vacuum is a favorite among pet owner’s since it picks up every piece of hair from critters roaming around. When buying this vacuum, you’ll receive a limited manufacturer’s defect warranty.
iRobot Roomba 690
- Patented Dirt Detect sensors alert Roomba to work harder on concentrated areas of dirt, such as high traffic zones of...
- Sleek, premium design complements your home décor
- 3 Stage Cleaning System and Dual Multi Surface Brushes pick up everything from small particles to large debris
This vacuum isn’t anything like others. It’s robotic so you can schedule it to clean at a certain time, and it will move on its own.
Maybe you don’t have the time to do it yourself, you can choose this one to get the job done. iRobot vacuum is battery powered, and you can download the app on your phone to schedule cleaning time. The design is unlike other vacuums as well. It’s sort of compact with a flat circular shape. Customers on Amazon really like the independence of the vacuum.
The Roomba 690 has also been featured in The Spruce, Best Home Products, and Top 8 Best Hardwood Floor Vacuums. Leaving this one out of the list just would not be right.
Keeping Hardwood Floors Smooth, Clean and Intact
One of the dangers with using vacuums over hardwood flooring is messing up the wood and damaging the surface.
Depending on the type of wood in your house, take precautions when buying a vacuum. If the vacuum has wheels, make sure they’re smooth and scratch resistant. All it takes is one turn in the wrong direction the floor will be scratched up. Pay attention to the bristles on the vacuum too. If the bristles are too rough or hard, you’ll scratch the floor.
Many believe that canister vacuums are easier on the floors than a regular, upright vacuum. It all depends on personal preference. Only a few of the vacuums that made the top eleven best vacuums for hardwood floors list are in fact canisters.
Look at the information about the vacuum that you want to purchase. It won’t hurt to go through a few online reviews as well to see how it works on the hardwood.
If you have pets, go ahead and search for a vacuum with great suction power. Pets go everywhere and get hair everywhere. Strong suction is essential for getting up all of their debris.
Stick vacuums should be avoided if you have lots to clean up or live in an area with lots of space. These types of vacuums just work better when there are no pets around and are most efficient for small cleanups.
Stay away from handheld vacuums, they simply don’t have the power to efficiently clean the floors. These vacuums are best used on small spaces such as steps and corners.
A Few Things to Consider Before the Final Buy
To get the absolute best vacuum for hardwood floors, make sure you get a vacuum with a strong motor. Having a strong motor means better suction.
This is especially important for pet owners.
Bagless or bagged? Either way they both get the job done, it really depends on personal preference. Obviously with a bagless vacuum you won’t have as much bulk.
If you are not interested in having to change the bag all the time, the bagless type of vacuum is the right product for you.
Never use a steam mop on your hardwood floors either. Steam mops will completely destroy the beautiful finish on your floor. This is one of the reasons that it’s better to buy one of these dry vacuums.
Filters are very important as well. You don’t want all that dirt on your floor just swirling around in the air, and eventually getting into your lungs. It’s worth comparing the filtration systems on various vacuums to see which is the best for hardwood floors.
Now that you have the basics and a little extra information about vacuums you’re all set to pick the perfect one for your home.
Last update on 2021-07-27 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API