Updated in April 2018
Toilet plungers are some of the most used tools in any home what with all the plumbing issues that a majority of homeowners have to deal with. Having a plunger lying around simplifies your plumbing DIY cleaning, saving you the trouble and cost of calling a professional plumber. The best toilet plunger should be efficient, durable, and capable of high-quality cleaning – but design might also be important for some. This list goes through the best toilet plungers and analyzes their pros and cons, materials, size, and price range. We gathered the best-rated products from Neiko, OXO, SimpleHuman, Korky, and other brands that work well for modern flushing toilets, be them round or elongated.
12. InterDesign Toilet Plunger and Holder for Bathroom Storage
As useful as the plunger is to everyday uses, it is not particularly a pretty sight. In fact, it can ruin your whole bathroom theme. This toilet plunger comes with a holder that hides it when not in use. The stainless steel finish is fancy if that is the style you are going for, not to mention durable as well. The rubber part of the plunger is harder than most, so it requires a bit of force when using it to avoid splatter.
|stainless steel, rubber, and plastic||6.5 x 19.5 inches||$$$|
- Good, elegant, and effective design
- Doesn’t come with a cradle
11. Heavy-Duty PlumbCraft Toilet Plunger
The PlumbCraft plunger comes with a cleaning brush and caddy. With the plastic caddy, you get two in one storage for the plunger and brush, so your bathroom doesn’t have to suffer too much in its appearance. The diameter of the plunger is 53/4”, accompanied by a 15” handle. It is also constructed with industrial grade material for efficiency and durability. The round shape of the handle (both) provides a good grip that doesn’t hurt the user when plunging.
|rubber, plastic, metal||7.5 x 6.9 x 17.9 inches||$$$|
- 2 in 1 product: plunger AND cleaning brush
- The plunger has a long handle
- The toilet brush has a short handle
Recommended read: If you are interested in a toilet brush, also, make sure you check out our article on the best toilet brushes of the year!
10. PlumbCraft Twist and Store Toilet Plunger
The difference this product offers when comparing it to other suggestions for the best toilet plunger title is the twistable caddy. A slight twist of the cover opens it for access to the toilet-cleaning tool. Another is that the handle can adjust between 13 and 17.25 inches, which means you can size the handle to fit your plunge under a sink. The design of the handle at the top gives you a non-slip grip, making it less challenging to adjust it.
|rubber||4.5 x 5 x 21 inches|
(handle is adjustable from 13" to 17.25")
- Adjustable handle
- Modern design
- The plunger does not fit in the stand if the handle is extended
9. Supply Guru Heavy-Duty Rubber Toilet Plunger
This toilet plunger has a classic design – a 16-inch wooden handle and a 5 and a half-inch rubber cup which is able to generate high-capacity pressure to effectively clear clogs in toilets and other types of drains. Some might call this old-fashioned, but others swear by the design and its effectiveness stating there’s a reason this classic design is still on the market – it’s because it works!
|Rubber and wood||17.9 x 2 x 0.3 inches||$|
- Classic, effective, and long-lasting design
- Very affordable
- The handle is longer than average
- Doesn’t work for some toilets – mostly depends on the shape of the opening
8. G.T. Water Products, Inc. MP500 Master Plunger
The product is an all-purpose cleaner with a simple design that takes the hassle out of cleaning. The bottom has a streamlined design that affords it maximum flexibility. For this reason, it is an ideal pick for drains that are particularly troublesome to reach. The design includes a patented air release feature that activates with a quarter turn of the hand which is the main reason we included it in this best toilet plunger list.
|Rubber||4.5 x 5 x 21 inches||$|
- One of the most effective toilet plungers on this list
- Very durable and well made
- Although highly effective, design isn’t its strong suit
7. CNStar Piston Clog Remover Toilet Pipe
The CNStar clog remover pipe features an unconventional design. Instead on using suction as a means to clear clogged siphons, the CNStar is using direct force to break apart, push, and pull the blockage. The “brush” features a spiral design for extra effectiveness and a stainless steel handle with extra grip for maximum usability. This is, according to our research and to ratings and reviews from verified customer, the absolute best toilet plunger for elongated toilets you could get this year.
|thermoplastic rubber and stainless steel||13.1 x 3 x 2 inches||$$|
- Innovative design that really works for modern flush-type toilets
- Easy to use
- Does not splash water
- Does not work for squatting-type toilets
- Difficult to clean
6. Rubber Toilet Plunger for Bathroom
Although not the best looking, this is by far the best toilet plunger for all-purpose use, whether industrial, commercial, or residential. The cup on the equipment has an extension that affords it maximum pressure and suction, not to mention it seals very quickly around the mouth of a drain. It also fits very well in different toilet designs while its plastic handle offers easy cleaning.
Fun fact: With every purchase, you get the “How to Poop Like a Pro – The Ultimate Guide to Healthy Bowel Movements” eBook for free!
|rubber and plastic||6 x 6 x 21 inches||$$|
- Comes with a funny free eBook
- Very effective
- Sturdy, long-lasting construction
- Classic design might not fit modern bathrooms
5. OXO Good Grips Toilet Plunger
The best toilet plunger on our list is manufactured by OXO and comes with a very smart canister which automatically opens when you lift the plunger and closes when you lower it into its spot. It also features ventilation slots that allow the water to evaporate after a while. The plunger itself works on all toilet shapes and its handle has a flat top surface that increases maneuverability and stability.
|plastic & rubber||6.6 x 6.5 x 23.8 inches||$$$|
- Good, elegant, and effective design and build overall
- God the first place because it’s also one of the most hygienic options as it does not hold water
- Its price range is the only con we could find
4. Korky 99-4A Max Performance Plunger
This plunger offers maximum plumbing capabilities with its non-marking rubber. The design of the cup is novel and provides excellent sealing when working on a drain. Korky advertises the tool as universal, meaning you don’t have a lot of restrictions on the toilets to clean with it. IF going with this one, you get a plunger with a special handle design that makes work easy.
|rubber & plastic||6.5 x 6.5 x 25.5 inches||$$|
- Very effective without splashing water back up
- Fits toilets from all manufacturers
- Made of non-marking rubber
- The case/tub needs to be purchased separately
3. Kleen Freak Antibacterial COMBO
You get an aluminum handle toilet plunger and a twister holder caddy with advanced germ guard. The antimicrobial protection that the germ guard provides prevents the tool from accumulating bacteria and bad odor. It also negates the need to use cleaning products every time you are unclogging the toilet. Its long handle is strong; and so, it doesn’t flex easily, giving you long service and a beautiful look for your toilet. This cleaning device is equipped with superior grade rubber cup with tiered ridges. The caddy prevents dirty water from dripping on your bathroom floor, keeping it sanitary always.
|rubber & plastic/aluminum||7.5 x 7.5 x 23 inches||$$$|
- A heavy-duty option that is sure to help out in times of need
- Has a good design given it’s function – especially the aluminum option
- The tray is sold separately
2. Neiko 60166A Toilet Plunger
The Neiko 60166A plunger has a patented all-angle design that makes it possible to use in toilets of different sizes and types. It has a rubber cup that is very pliable, which makes it easy to use as it creates a tight seal around the drain opening. You can also work unobstructed because the cup does not flip back as is typical of other designs. Its long handle allows you to unclog drains and toilets without the need for excessive force. The design at the bottom doesn’t allow water to remain in the cup, thus improving hygiene.
|rubber and aluminum||24 x 6 x 1 inches||$$$|
- Very lightweight and easy to handle
- Adaptable to all types and shapes of toilets due to its four-step cup
- Can splash water sometimes (rarely)
1. SimpleHuman Toilet Plunger
The plunger has a flange design that makes it very facile to work with on modern toilets. Its long and narrow build lets you get to the hard-to-reach parts of toilets and drains. The dome-shaped housing offers easy access whenever you have to clean. One part of the cover hides the plunger while the other has an opening to allow you detach it without a struggle. It has a magnetic collar that keeps it very secure when carrying, so you don’t have to fret over dripping water all over the place.
|stainless steel, plastic, rubber||7.9 x 7.1 x 23.1 inches||$$$|
- Solid, sturdy construction and great design
- Very effective with modern narrow toilets
- The tub takes up too much floor space
Unclogging toilets, sinks, and drains is a nasty business and only the right tools make it tolerable. According to our research, the most innovative and best toilet plunger is the CNStar piston clog remover, but products with classic design like the ones form SimpleHuman or Neiko are also good choices. Do you have other suggestions for this top?