Cleaning the toilet is never something any of us look forward to. Fortunately, there is a wide range of cleaners available that make the process much easier. The purpose of our article is to review and rank some of the best toilet bowl cleaner available.
Our List of the Top 10 Best Toilet Bowl Cleaner
Following is our list of the 10 best toilet bowl cleaner brands. We used the following criteria in our selection and ranking process:
- Average User Reviews
- Liquid or Tablet Formula Design
- The Presence of Bleach
- Price Range
- Odor Control Level
10. Kaboom BowlBlaster
Kaboom BowlBlaster is one of the best toilet bowl cleaners we could find for several reasons. For starters, it has a unique formula that changes color to let you know it’s done cleaning. It also comes with two bottles in each pack.[table id=405 /]
- Changes color to let you know it’s done cleaning
- Each package comes with two bottles
- Helps remove difficult stains
- Additional treatments are sometimes necessary
9. Clorox Toilet Bowl Cleaner with Bleach
Clorox has long been a household name that users trust. Their formula kills 99.9 percent of surface germs. In addition, their product comes in multiple package size options for better scalability for larger households.[table id=406 /]
- Kills over 99 percent of surface bacteria
- Available in multiple package sizes
- The gel design clings to the bowl’s surface
- Emits a fairly strong chemical smell
8. ZEP Acidic Toilet Bowl Cleaner
ZEP is one of the best products we found that was highly effective against hard water stains. Their bottle also features a convenient squirt-top design that simplifies application and reduces products wastes.[table id=407 /]
- Highly effective against hard water stains
- Squirt-top bottle design simplifies application
- Helps reduce odors
- Harder stains will require longer treatment times to remove completely
7. Frosch Lemon Toilet Bowl Cleaner
Frosch earned its spot on our list for being one of the most eco-friendly choices we could find. Their product is designed using plant-based surfactants that are much gentler on the environment.[table id=408 /]
- Environmental friendly formula
- The scent it leaves behind is quite pleasant
- Very affordable
- Not as effective against tougher stains
6. Seventh Generation Emerald Cypress and Fir Toilet Bowl Cleaner
Seventh Generation is another viable toilet bowl cleaner that is designed to be safer for the environment. Their formula features zero synthetic fragrances, dyes, and it’s also free of chlorine bleach.[table id=409 /]
- Utilizes natural fragrance
- The bottle reaches under the toilet bowl rim nicely
- Each pack contains eight bottles
- The formula is a bit watery
5. Diversey Crew Clinging Toilet Bowl Cleaner
Diversey Crew is one of the lesser-known products on our list. However, we found that the formula clings well to the toilet bowl wall and does a great job of removing stubborn stains with minimal scrubbing.[table id=410 /]
- The thick formula is ideal for covering the porcelain surface
- Cleans, disinfects, and deodorizes
- Safe for septic tanks
- Does not come in an angled bottle
4. Home Care The Works Toilet Bowl Cleaner
The Works is one of the most budget-friendly choices on our list. With a formula that is free of bleach, this product is a suitable choice for many users. It also effectively removes rust and hard water stains.[table id=411 /]
- Treats a wide range of surface stain types
- Kills several types of household bacteria
- Easy to apply
- It’s easy to apply too much cleaner
3. Lysol Toilet Bowl Cleaner with Lime and Rust Remover
This particular Lysol product is a perfect fit for users with rust stains that are particularly hard to treat. In addition to its thick formula design, this product also comes in an angled dispenser for easier application.[table id=413 /]
- Safely and effectively removes rust stains
- Also works on lime residue
- Angled bottle design for easier application
- It’s not as effective for odor control
2. Clorox Automatic Toilet Bowl Cleaner
Clorox is one of the only tablet type toilet bowl cleaners that we recommend. Each tablet slowly disperses bleach to help keep your toilet fresh and clean with each flush. It’s one of the best options for continuous cleaning, and one of the best toilet bowl cleaners.[table id=414 /]
- Kills bacteria and stops odors
- Works each time you flush the toilet
- Each package comes with four individually sealed tablets
- Not an ideal pick for homes with pets or small children
1. Lysol Complete Clean Toilet Bowl Cleaner
Our number one best toilet bowl cleaners choice is Lysol Complete Clean. This formula is very thick and includes bleach for added odor control and disinfection. We also found the angled bottle design to be very helpful during the application process.[table id=415 /]
- Contains multiple odor eliminating ingredients
- Effectively eliminates bacteria
- Multiple bottles included in each package
- The inclusion of bleach may not be as desirable for some users
Some Things to Consider When Choosing the Best Toilet Bowl Cleaner
1. The Price of the Product
The majority of toilet bowl cleaners are fairly priced, however, there are some brands which can be quite expensive. It is a good idea to consider the amount of toilet bowl cleaner you’re purchasing so that you can figure out the price per 100ml. This way, you can compare the prices of each cleaner on a like-for-like basis and work out the best deal for your money.
2. The Effectiveness of the Cleaner
You should never assume that a more expensive product is going to do a better job than a cheaper product as this is usually not the case. We would recommend looking at independent reviews from actual shoppers on what they think is the best product and then go from there. Try to find real reviews from people who have used the product themselves. Look for answers to questions such as: What are the results of using the product? How much scrubbing is required? What is the odor like and is it an unpleasant or overpowering odor?
3. How Easy is it to Use?
Before purchasing, take a moment to find out exactly how the toilet cleaner works and the type of effort that is required while using that particular cleaner. Most liquid and gel cleaners will require you to flush the toilet, then squirt the cleaner around the bowl and leave it for a specific period of time (usually around 10 or 15 minutes), and then scrub it clean. The majority of toilet bowl cleaners can be used straight from the bottle, but others need to be diluted with water, so it’s always best to check the label so you know what you’re getting before making the purchase.
4. What is the Fragrance?
Toilet cleaners come in a variety of fragrances from lemon or citrus, to pine or eucalyptus. There’s not really any way that you can tell how the odor is going to be before you try the product, however, many brands offer a range of fragrances so you can at least choose the fragrance that you think sounds best for you personally.
5. What is the Main Use of the Product?
It is always important to check if the product you’re choosing is actually a disinfectant. There are a number of toilet bowl cleaners that are simply used for removing stains rather than actually disinfecting the dirt. So be sure to always check the label to make sure you’re picking up a product that is going to work well for what you need it for.
6. Is the Product Environmentally Friendly?
If you’re conscious of being eco-friendly with your cleaning, then it may be relevant for you to check the ingredients on the bottle of the toilet cleaner before you make your purchase. This way, you will be able to find out exactly which chemicals you will be using to clean your toilet. Some brands offer completely plant-derived formulas and use only 100% recyclable packaging. So if you’re an eco-conscious person, these eco-friendly brands would probably be the best toilet bowl cleaner option for you.
7. The Design of the Product
Many of the best toilet bowl cleaner brands will have an angled neck which makes it easy to spray the liquid under the rim of the toilet bowl where a lot of dirt, stains, and bacteria tend to stick. However, other brands can sometimes just have a straight neck, which may make the cleaner much more difficult to apply and may require a lot more work and effort on your part.
How to Clean Your Toilet Bowl With the Best Toilet Bowl Cleaner
In order for your toilet cleaner to work effectively, it will need some standing time to break down stains and kill bacteria, so make sure you have the time to wait around before getting to the scrubbing part.
Begin by pouring your chosen best toilet bowl cleaner around the rim and top of the bowl interior. Be generous with the amount so that it can drip down to the bottom. Be especially generous when dealing with a badly stained toilet or one that hasn’t been cleaned in a while. The product then needs to be left for around fifteen minutes so that it has time to get to work on those stains and get rid of any build up of bacteria.
After the fifteen minutes or so is up, you then need to get to scrubbing. For this, you will need a good toilet brush. Starting from the rim, use a damp toilet brush and scrub all the areas of the bowl. Rinse the brush at regular intervals during the scrubbing process. Continue to scrub every inch of the bowl until you are satisfied with the results. Finish off by pouring water around the interior of the bowl to get rid of any remaining cleaner. Also, splash some water up in the rim for the same purpose. Then simply pull the flush to finish your toilet bowl cleaning process.
Toilet Cleaner Safety
Most toilet cleaners contain a variety of chemicals. These can pose serious health hazards if they come into contact with your skin or go in your eyes. Be sure to read the safety and usage instructions on the bottle BEFORE using the product to avoid any potential dangers when using your chosen toilet cleaner.
Always also remember to keep your cleaning products out of reach of both children and pets.
Our Verdict on the Best Toilet Bowl Cleaner
The products we reviewed are all excellent options. Many of them feature bleach-free formulas and can help control odors. Just remember to always follow the manufacturer directions for best results. If there are any products that you want to recommend, tell us about them in the comments.