Updated in: April 2018
A chef’s knife is the most versatile tool in the kitchen because it can chop, mince, and dice just about anything. Though high-quality knives can cost thousands of dollars, the truth is there are plenty of reliable chef knives that you can find for under $50. For the purpose of this article, we’ve made it our mission to find the most affordable chef knives, that will also stand the test of time. Our top ten picks are ranked based on size, construction, user ratings, materials, and affordability. Keep reading to find the best chef knife under 50 dollars!
10. Augymer Chef Knife
- HIGH QUALITY KNIFE: The chef knife adopt advanced Japanese high carbon Stainless Steel(SUS440A). Has a good degree of...
- ANTI-CORROSION & MULTI-FUNCTIONAL: Japanes SUS440A Stainless steel contains a certain amount of chromium, which...
- ERGONOMIC HANDLE: The chef knife high quality wooden handle is curved, so it is good grip when you using it. never...
You get both looks and functionality with the Augymer chef knife. The blade is made from a high carbon steel that will hold an edge for many uses. It has an ergonomic wooden handle that is easy to grip and it comes in an elegant gift box. It also comes with lifetime warranty and a 90-day no-question-asked refund policy. Therefore, it’s the best chef knife under $50 for those who want a resilient knife to gift for someone.
|4.4/5||8''||Japanese high-carbon stainless steel|
- Rippled blade mimics the appearance of high-end chef’s knives
- Lifetime warranty
- Dishwasher safe
- Curved blade allows both French and Chinese cutting techniques
- Wooden handle may scratch
- Not real Damascus steel
9. Utopia Kitchen Stainless Steel Chef Knife
- STAINLESS STEEL CHEF KNIFE - Classic stainless steel 8 inches chef knife is made of 100% stainless steel which is rust...
- EXCEPTIONAL CUT - 8 inches sharp blade cuts easily through large pieces of food
- EASY GRIP - ABS + 430 handle ensures easy grip and hassle-free maneuvering
This versatile chef’s knife can easily cut through meats, fruits, bread, and other items. Furthermore, it has a comfortable grip that lets you easily maneuver it across your cutting board. The blade is made of 100% stainless steel and the handle is made of ABS+430 material that has good grip and makes it balanced and easy to maneuver. if you’re looking for a high-quality and well-balanced knife, this is the best chef knife under 50 dollars you could get.
|4.4/5||8'' blade||stainless steel and plastic|
- Well balanced chef knife
- Dishwasher safe
- Thick bolster prevents accidental cuts
- Requires frequent sharpening
- Better for slicing, not chopping
- Lack of complete tang damages durability
8. KAMLE Chef’s Knife
- 【Professional KAMLE Multi-Functional Knife】8 Inches Long High Carbon Steel Chef Knife, Excellent Stain and Corrosion...
- 【German Stainless Steel Blade】 KAMLE The 8 inch chef knife blade precisely forged by high quality German stainless...
- 【Non-Slip Ergonomic Handle】 To make it more professional and minimize any fatigue, finger numbness or aches after...
The curved shape of the Aicok blade lets you rock the knife and cut food without excessive pressure. It has a precision-tapered ground blade that is extremely sharp and made of 420 stainless steel, and the unusual tang construction provides added durability. In addition, it’s forged from a single piece of steel which drastically reduces the amount of bacteria that builds up over time.
|4.6/5||8'' blade; 5'' handle||German high-carbon stainless steel|
- Uniquely comfortable handle shape
- Lifetime warranty
- Not dishwasher safe
- Balance is a little off
7. Wusthof Pro Knife
- With its special blade shape, the new kitchen surfer from Wusthof is the perfect all-rounder for all cutting tasks in...
- Part of the classic Series, This knife represents two centuries of unexcelled Wusthof craftsmanship.
- Traditional-style composition handle is triple riveted to the full tang of the blade ~ Forged from High Carbon German...
This affordable and extra long model from Wusthof is perfect for those who chop a lot of food at once. Its handle is specially shaped to prevent you from accidentally cutting yourself while you use it and the blade is perfectly contoured for easy chopping, slicing, and dicing. It’s definitely the best chef knife under 50 dollars if you value functionality over design.
|4.6/5||10'' blade; 5'' handle||German steel blade; poly handle|
- Extra length makes cutting larger items easy
- Ergonomic handle
- Retains edge longer
- Unusually thick handle
- Lack of complete tang
6.CHEF KNIFE Sharp German Steel
- New Year Special; Receive a free Okami Sharpener when you purchase 1 or more Okami German Chef Knife; Put both items in...
- WORKHORSE; This 8 Inch Chef's Knife does it all cutting chopping mincing slicing dicing; Made of strong German steel he...
- STAY SHARP; handle heavy duty work with style; Balmung is a full tang chef knife with a large blade made of high carbon...
Kuma knives are a fan favorite for their specially constructed blades that can fillet, slice, and dice with ease. A triple riveted handle attaches to the lengthy tang, so you don’t have to worry about breaking the knife while chopping. The blade features a stylish logo that makes it look even better. This is the best chef knife under 50 dollars if you want one that’s easy to sharpen and long-lasting.
|4.6/5||8'' blade; 8'' handle||3CR13 Stainless Steel|
- Blade material is resistant to rust or cooking acids
- Tang extends through handle for extra durability
- Extra wide bolster protects fingers while cutting
- Maintains edge throughout multiple uses
- Some users consider it a bit lightweight
5. Santoku Starter Knife Set
- Hand crafted full tang knives forged from tight grained, X50Cr15MoV German Steel for incredible durability, stain...
- Each blade goes through an (ultra6) stage heat treatment ensuring every blade maintains it strength and function. Hand...
- Set Includes: 5" santoku knife, 3.5" serrated paring knife. Included fitted plastic sheaths to ensure your blade will be...
Cozilife’s chef’s knife is beautifully designed with a pakka wood handle riveted onto a full tang structure. The blade is a little more curved than other designs, making chopping much easier. Unique forging and heat treated methods make this blade extra strong and give it long lasting edge preservation.
|4.8/5||8'' blade; 5'' handle||German-made steel|
- Extremely well balanced
- German forged blade has increased density and carbon
- Laser-tested edge angle with extra sharpness
- Lifetime warranty
- Unusual handle shape takes time to get used to
If you have an extended budget at your disposal and are looking for a more expensive chef knife, be sure to check out our guide on the 10 best chef knives of 2019.
4. Victorinox 8 Inch Fibrox Pro Chef’s Knife
- For home chefs & professionals. This Fibro Pro chef's knife has been the top choice of both home chefs and professionals...
- Fit for all tasks. Designed to handle kitchen tasks both big and small, This durable knife's razor sharp and...
- Easy handling. Each knife features an ergonomic handle made from thermoplastic Elastomer (TPE) for a non-slip grip -...
Versatile and durable, this knife lives up to the Victorinox reputation. It’s ideal for new chefs who want something easy to use. It has a non-slip Fibrox Pro handle, which makes it easy to handle even when wet; as a result, the cutting process is much safer and more efficient than usual. It’s the best chef knife under $50 if you are looking for an expertly-made knife from a reputable brand.
|4.7/5||8'' blade; 5'' handle||Stamped steel blade|
- Lightweight and maneuverable
- Textured handle prevents slipping
- Includes protective storage sheath
- Dishwasher safe
- No extended tang
- Thick handle may not work for small hands
To get a full overview of the best knives, how to clean and maintain them, and other useful tips, check out our buying guide by clicking the image below!
3. ZWILLING J.A. Henckels TWIN Signature 6″ Utility Knife
- Manufactured in Germany
- Special formula high carbon NO STAIN steel
- One-piece precision-stamped blade for a lighter weight knife without sacrificing strength
Kape’s knife has a riveted tang construction, which means the blade and handle are a single forged piece with a grip attached to it with rivets. The construction keeps the knife balanced, and the materials ensure that it retains its sharp edge. It also makes for a great gift as it comes in an elegant black box. Although it’s only the third best chef knife under $50 on this list, it had a surprisingly high average customer rating of 4.7 at the moment of writing.
- Does not need frequent sharpening
- Forged construction is very durable
- Thick bolster between blade and handle prevents accidents
- May rust if improperly cleaned
2. Professional Handmade 8″ Damascus Chefs Knife
- High quality 67-layer Damascus steel for precision, beauty, and strength.
- Handmade, HRC 62 Rockwell hardness, 100% Quality Control.
- 12 Degrees super razor sharp edge, the sharpness can keep more than 6 months.
This uniquely patterned steel is a natural result of the forging process, and the pakka wood handle adds to the stylish appearance. The Damascus steel helps to retain sharpness over multiple uses, and it is used to make a very efficient knife. It’s one of the best materials available for this purpose, which makes this product from Soufull the best chef knife under 50 dollars.
|4.9/5||8'' blade; 6'' handle||Damascus steel|
- Comfortable grip
- Extremely sharp
- Looks great
- Well balanced
- Not heatproof
- Requires extra care when cleaning
1. Dalstrong Chef’s Knife
- Outstanding craftsmanship, cutting-edge technology, stunning design elements, and premium materials. Peak performance...
- Incredibly razor sharp, full-tang, imported high-carbon German steel with a hand polished edge at 14-16 degrees per...
- Award winning design, with satisfying heft, premium materials and quality feel. Luxury black G10 Garolite handle is...
Hollowed indentions along the knife prevent suctioning when cutting damp items. It’s made from extra-strong forged German steel with a taper-ground edge for extra stability. This second best chef knife under 50 dollars also comes with a limited lifetime warranty.
|4.8/5||6''-10'' blade||Forged steel and santoprene handle|
- Made from a high-carbon German cutlery steel.
- Lifetime warranty
- Ergonomic handle with non-slip grip and temperature resistance
- Comes in multiple lengths
- Thin bolster may cause accidents when used without care
Depending on your cooking style, you might need a durable knife with a riveted handle, a super-sharp high carbon knife, or a wide bolster to protect your hand. What’s your favorite chef’s knife under $50? Leave a comment below to let us know!
Last update on 2021-03-03 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API