Finding the best apples for apple pie is the first step of any successful baking endeavor. We have selected the 10 best types of apples out there so that you can make the absolute perfect pie. Get ready to explore the wonderful flavor variety and find out all about the scrumptious options you have out there. Take a look!
10. Red Delicious Apples
We begin our list of the best apples for apple pies with the glorious Red Delicious apples.
Not only are they the most popular choice for fresh apples, but they are also a great choice for soft pies and apple and nut pies.
If you want to make a creamy apple pie, then Red Delicious apples are the ones for you.[table id=117 /]
- Red Delicious apples become scrumptiously soft when baked, which makes them suited for a wide range of pie recipes.
- Their subtle flavor makes them suited for apple and nut pie recipes.
- Might be too sweet and uni-dimensional for some tastes.
9. McIntosh Apples
The McIntosh apple is one of the best apples for apple pie filling and applesauce because they will get that soft and creamy texture that everybody loves.
These apples are extremely rich in Vitamin C and they have a very low sugar content, which makes them the healthy option for a delicious pie.[table id=118 /]
- When baked, McIntosh apples become soft and their color shifts to a dark golden brown.
- They have a very low sugar content, so your pie will be extremely refreshing.
- Can turn mushy if over-baked.
8. Rome Apples
Rome apples are yet another crowd favorite when it comes to creamy apple pies.
They are some of the best apples for pie filling because flavor becomes noticeably stronger when baked, which will guarantee that your pie will be an absolute success.[table id=119 /]
- Their texture becomes soft when baked, which makes them suited for creamy apple pies and sauce.
- Their color shifts to dark brown when cooked.
- While they are not very sweet when eaten fresh, their flavor is significantly intensified when cooked.
- Can become too mushy if overcooked even when whole.
7. Royal Gala Apples
Royal Galas are some of the best apples for apple pie because their unique aroma will persist when baked.
They will maintain a very firm texture as well, which makes them an excellent choice for a wide range of recipes.[table id=120 /]
- They have a very thin skin and a grainy texture that will add a tangy flavor to your pies. This makes it ideally suited for cinnamon-based recipes.
- Royal Gala apples will hold their shape in the pie, which is an excellent advantage.
- The grainy texture might be repulsive to some.
6. Fuji Apples
Their delightful honey sweet taste makes Fuji apples some of the best options on the market. They have a relatively low sugar content, which means that they are excellent for fresh tangy recipes.
If you want to make a sweet pie, all you have to do is add some sugar to the mix.[table id=121 /]
- Fuji apples have a very high sugar level, which means that you should add very little sugar to the pie.
- Their sweet taste will not get enhanced when baked, which makes them ideally suited for medium-sweet pies.
- If used as a pie filling, they can become watery but tart without added honey or sugar.
5. Cortland Apples
The Cortland is one of the best apples to use for apple pie because it is particularly juicy and very flavored.
Your pie will smell delightful and the filling will be perfectly balanced. They are ideally suited for apple and nut pies because their mild flavor will compliment the rich taste of the nuts perfectly.[table id=122 /]
- Cortland apples have a tender and somewhat grainy texture, that will hold up well when baked. Add some cinnamon for a delicious pie.
- When baked, they become softer, but they do not break down.
- They have a mild flavor when baked, which might not be intense enough for some people.
4. Empire Apples
If you are looking for an apple which is rich in natural sugars, then the Empire is the one for you because it is the sweetest apple you can find out there.
Another amazing fact about them is that they will maintain their texture almost intact when baked, so they are some of the best apples for pies with larger slices.[table id=123 /]
- These juicy apples are ideal for apple pies.
- They will maintain their texture in the pie, which makes them well-suited for virtually any type of pie.
- When baked, Empire apples become very sweet, so make sure you add very little to no sugar.
3. Granny Smith Apples
Granny Smith apples are clearly some of the best apples for pies with artistic designs because they will maintain their texture marvelously when baked.
However, they will lose some of their famous citrus-like aroma in the process, which means that you should probably add some nuts of cinnamon to the mix to get a delicious pie.[table id=124 /]
- Granny Smith apples will maintain their firm texture when baked, but their striking citrus-like aroma will be less potent, which means that you can add your favorite condiments to the pie.
- The color will remain quite bright, which is an excellent advantage.
- Granny Smith apples will maintain their firm texture when baked.
- Their striking citrus-like aroma will be less potent, which means it might result in a flavorless pie especially if overcooked.
2. Braeburn Apples
The rich golden color that these apples get when baked is enough to make them some of the best apples for pie baking out there.
Aside from their irresistible color, they have a rich flavor and a strong texture that makes them an excellent choice for virtually any type of pie.[table id=125 /]
- Braeburn apples will soften their texture when baked, but they will remain quite firm and tangy.
- Their color shifts to a lovely golden yellow during baking, which makes them some of the best apples for apple pie.
- Can become a bit too soft for some tastes, but definitely not mushy.
1. Golden Delicious Apples
Golden Delicious apples are our top choice because of their unmistakable aroma that will be gloriously enhanced when baked. Their texture has a slight tendency to get mushy, so make sure not to overcook them to get a firmer filling.
If you are aiming to make a classic pie, then Golden Delicious apples are clearly your best possible choice.[table id=126 /]
- Golden Delicious apples have a very strong honey flavor that is ideally highlighted when baked.
- While the texture becomes softer when baked, the excellent flavor makes them ideally suited for apple pies.
- Best apples for apple pie available on the market.
- None. These are by far the best apples for apple pie!
We hope that our list of the 10 best apples for apple pie will prove useful when you decide to bake the perfect pie. Whichever one you choose, your pie is bound to turn out fantastic because they are all excellent choices. It is up to you to decide which type of pie you want to bake and find the best type of apple and the ideal recipe from there. Good luck!